By Charles Forrest, Martin Halbert
A box advisor to the data Commons describes the emergence of the concept that of the knowledge commons in libraries and its quick unfold and adoption, and encompasses a number of contributed articles and descriptive, based entries for numerous details commons in libraries.
Read Online or Download A Field Guide to the Information Commons PDF
Similar library management books
This useful booklet introduces readers to the present concerns dealing with todays educational reference and guide librarians grappling with the turning out to be challenge of scholar plagiarism. The booklet offers up to date overviews of pupil plagiarism, examples of how within which librarians can train scholars via confirmed tutorial options, collaboration ways and outreach tools, and discusses universal difficulties and questions librarians may perhaps come upon whilst incorporating present anti-plagiarism guide into their tutorial companies.
Robertson on Library safeguard and catastrophe making plans provides a suite of highly-cited, writer released articles on safety and catastrophe making plans for libraries. The publication represents the one position the place those articles are compiled, making it a go-to quantity for practitioners. It comprises themes overlaying all elements of education and reaction, besides articles drawn from library journals, together with Feliciter, Canadian assurance, catastrophe restoration magazine, and Canadian Bookseller.
Dependent partially on a range of the author's previous web publication postings, info execs' occupation personal is a handy, browsable, and illuminating pocket compendium of insights on themes suitable for info and data execs at any degree in their careers. This booklet collects reviews on concerns of curiosity to new and skilled info pros alike in 1-2 minute “quick takes, inviting extra notion.
This Festschrift quantity is released in honor of David Kahn and is the result of a Fest held in Luxembourg in 2010 at the get together of David Kahn’s eightieth birthday. The name of this books leans at the name of a significant heritage of cryptology named “The Codebreakers”, written through David Kahn and released in 1967.
- Encyclopedia of Dairy Sciences, Four-Volume Set
- A New Republic of Letters: Memory and Scholarship in the Age of Digital Reproduction
- Shared Collections: Collaborative Stewardship
- Google and the Myth of Universal Knowledge: A View from Europe
- Library Security and Safety Handbook: Prevention, Policies and Procedures
Additional info for A Field Guide to the Information Commons
Opening an information commons in a library often requires the library staff to rethink some of their existing policies. Many information commons allow food and drink in their facilities as one means of enhancing the social nature of the space. The ramifications of this policy are the need for increased maintenance and trash pickup, which should be planned in advance of the opening of the facility. At some institutions, the noise level in the information commons disturbs some users. At Indiana University, the staff addressed this issue of students needing advanced technologies in quiet settings by opening a second information commons, designated as quiet space, on a different floor.
53. Tompkins, “Quality in Community College Libraries,” 506–25. 54. Jerry D. asp (accessed August 18, 2006). 55. “Indiana U’s IC2,” Library Journal 130 (May 1, 2005): 15. 56. asp (accessed August 17, 2006). 57. Martin Halbert, “Lessons from the Information Commons Frontier,” The Journal of Academic Librarianship 25 (March 1999): 90–91. In the same issue of The Journal of Academic Librarianship, Philip Tramdack cautioned of potential conflict between the design of the information commons and users’ expectations for library spaces: “Traditional library users may be sympathetic in acknowledging a complex function addressed by the idea of the IC.
At Middlebury College, a small, liberal arts institution, an entirely new library building opened in 2004. This new building houses the center for teaching, learning, and research, which includes offices for the tutoring program, writing center, first-year program, and others. Its main floor includes reference and help desks, a media lab, and a café. While these are all typical features of an information commons, Middlebury does not use that terminology to describe its facility. The Information Commons at Dickinson College is another small college example.
A Field Guide to the Information Commons by Charles Forrest, Martin Halbert